STOP! That's what your electrician would say if you were doing these things. Although we rely on electricity in almost everything, it can harm us in ways we don’t expect! The third most common reason for house fires is electrical fires. Luckily, there are some awareness and preventative measures!
So, to prevent circumstances that you would regret, Home Alliance gathered some things electricians want you to avoid doing.
Don’t Ignore Warning Signs
Never ever ignore warning signs in your electrical system. A pop from your outlet, warm light switches, or a breaker that won’t reset, it’s vital that you take these warning signs seriously. If you notice warning signs, contact your electrician immediately.
Using Loose Outlets
This might be something someone you know does, as loose outlets still have electricity flowing through it. However, this might be because of some faults in the wiring or materials inside the outlet. Avoid using them, especially when they feel warm to the touch.
Know Your DIY Limits
While DIYs open you to saving money and being creative, it’s important to know where to stop and contact the experts. If you plan to DIY in complicated situations or problems in electrical work, you should think otherwise.
Ignoring Exposed Wirings
Never, ever, ignore exposed wirings! Especially when they are used in places with moisture. You risk receiving an electrical shock if you come into contact with these cables when wet. While shock may not always result in death, it can burn you and harm your neurological system.
Upgrading Two-prong to Three-prong Outlets
Even though your two-prong outlet may still function, you should note that it is no longer the industry standard for safety.
Using Wrong Outlets in the Bathroom and Kitchen
Ground fault circuit interrupters should be installed in these two rooms' outlets. These outlets cut power when they detect water, potentially protecting anyone holding an object like a hair dryer from receiving a terrible shock.
Ignoring Flickering Lights
Ghosts are the last thing to think of when wondering about the cause of flickering lights. Some common reasons for flickering lights include faulty light switches and overloaded circuits. Occasional flickers in old houses are common. However, when they start occurring more, you should get them diagnosed by professionals.
Overloading your circuit is a no-no! An overloaded circuit can cause the whole circuit to shut off. However, in the worst case scenario where there isn’t a circuit breaker, it might lead to a fire.
Low Voltage Doesn’t Mean No Danger
We won't simply tell you that servicing a low-voltage system is just as risky as servicing your electrical breaker box. However, your electricians would advise you to take some simple safety measures of keeping in mind that low-voltage does not mean no danger.
Plugging in Faulty Appliances
Plugging in faulty appliances will not only cause trouble for your home’s electrical wiring, but also risk the other appliances. So if you have faulty appliances or electrical problems, don’t hesitate to contact Home Alliance. It’s our specialty to ensure that you feel safe and relaxed in your own home.