Electricity is essential in enabling us to live our daily lives, powering every aspect of our homes and offices. However, with such reliance on electricity comes the risk of electrical failures, and one of the most crucial components in your electrical system is the main breaker. A main breaker is responsible for protecting your home from overloads and short circuits, and when it fails, it leads to serious consequences, including fires and electrical shock. In this article, we'll explore 6 possible reasons why a main breaker might fail, giving you the knowledge to recognize potential problems and take action to protect yourself and your home.
- Age: Over time, the main breaker can wear out and fail due to frequent usage and exposure to heat and other environmental factors.
- Overloading: If you regularly overload your system by running too many appliances or devices simultaneously, the main breaker can trip or fail to protect your house.
- Short circuits: When a wire carrying current comes into contact with another wire or a conductive surface, a short circuit can occur, which causes it to trip or fail.
- Loose connections: If the wires or terminals connected to the main breaker become loose or corroded, it can cause malfunction or failure.
- Power surges: Lightning strikes or other sudden surges of electricity can overwhelm the main breaker, causing it to fail.
- Manufacturing defects: If a main breaker has been manufactured incorrectly or is not up to standard, it causes it to trip unexpectedly or fail prematurely.
It is essential to remember that these are only some potential causes of the malfunction. Proper maintenance and regular inspections should be conducted regularly to avoid many of these issues.
What to Do if Your Main Circuit Breaker Won't Reset?
Dealing with a circuit breaker that won't reset can be frustrating and stressful. This situation can leave you without power, which could be a major inconvenience. However, before you panic and call an electrician, there are steps you can take on what to do if your main circuit breaker won't reset.
- Turn off all the electrical appliances and devices connected to the circuit: This will help you identify if a problem with a particular appliance or device is causing the circuit to trip. If there are too many appliances or devices connected to the circuit, this can overload the circuit and cause it to trip.
- Try to reset the circuit breaker by flipping the switch off and then on again: To do this, locate your main circuit breaker panel and look for the switch that controls the circuit that has tripped. Flip the switch to the off position and then back to the on position to reset it. You should hear a click or feel a slight resistance when the switch resets.
- If the circuit breaker still doesn't reset, try to identify any possible causes, such as a faulty appliance or a short circuit: Check for burnt smells, flickering lights, or sparks, which could indicate a problem with the wiring or an appliance. Try unplugging all devices and see if the circuit breaker resets.
- If you're unable to identify the cause of the problem or if the issue persists, it's best to call a licensed electrician to inspect and do the circuit breaker repair: Electrical work can be dangerous, and it's important to prioritize your safety. A licensed electrician has the knowledge, skills, and tools to diagnose and repair the problem safely.
- Always prioritize safety when dealing with electricity, and avoid attempting to fix the problem yourself if you're unfamiliar with electrical services: Always assume that any electrical circuit is live and can shock you. Wear rubber-soled shoes, avoid touching metal surfaces, and turn off the power to the entire house if necessary.
By following these simple steps, you may be able to identify and resolve the problem yourself. Remember, if you're unsure or uncomfortable with electrical work, always call a licensed electrician to help. Prioritizing safety is key when dealing with electricity.
Looking for a certified electrician near me?
Don't let a faulty circuit breaker panel ruin your daily routine. Rely on Home Alliance for top-notch electrical services and get back to living life with ease! Home Alliance offers services like main breaker panel repair, electrical panel installation, and other electrical repair services. By choosing us, you can rest easy knowing that your electrical system will be cared for in the most reliable way possible. We provide top-notch services at an unbeatable rate - get in touch with our professional team today to book an appointment and enjoy a newfound sense of security within your home.