Shoes are an essential part of our daily lives; we all know they can quickly become dirty and stained over time. Cleaning shoes by hand can be tedious, and we often wonder if it's safe to clean them in a washing machine. The answer to this question is yes but with some considerations. Below are some guidelines to remember for cleaning your shoes:
- While tossing your shoes in the washing machine may seem easy, not all shoes suit this method. Certain shoes, such as leather and suede shoes, should never be washed in a washing machine as they can get damaged. For these types of shoes, it's best to stick to hand cleaning methods or take them to a professional cleaner.
- On the other hand, sneakers, canvas shoes, and other machine-washable shoes can be cleaned in the washing machine. Before tossing them in, make sure to remove any loose dirt or debris from the shoes and remove the laces and any removable inserts.
- To protect the shoes and the washing machine, it's recommended to place the shoes in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase. This will prevent the shoes from getting tangled and also protect the washing machine from any damage.
- When washing the shoes, using a gentle cycle and cold water is important. Hot water can cause the shoes to shrink, and harsh detergents can damage the shoes' materials. Instead, use a mild detergent or a special shoe-cleaning solution.
- After the wash cycle is complete, remove the shoes from the mesh bag and allow them to air dry. Do not place the shoes in a dryer, as the heat can damage the shoes' materials and cause them to shrink.
Cleaning shoes in a washing machine is possible, but only for certain types of shoes. Always check the shoe's care instructions before washing them in a washing machine, and use a gentle cycle, cold water, and mild detergent or shoe cleaning solution. By following these tips, you can successfully clean your shoes in a washing machine and keep them looking fresh and new for longer.