Stove Keeps Tripping Your Breaker? Here's How To Resolve It!

Author
Blog author image
Mark Jardine
Date
March 01, 2024
Theme
Home appliances
Views
4190
Share
Blog post image
Tired of constantly tripping over your stove's breaker? It's time to fix the stove once and for all. Whether you're cooking a lot or just trying to fry an egg, a stove that isn't functioning properly could be frustrating. But don't worry, and we've got your back! In this blog, we'll explore some of the most common causes of a tripping stove breaker and provide helpful tips. So, put on your apron and let's get cooking!

The stove is not on a dedicated breaker

A dedicated breaker is a circuit breaker that supplies power to a specific appliance or device without sharing it with any other appliances. In the case of a stove, having a dedicated breaker means that it is the only appliance connected to that circuit. Sharing a circuit with other high-power appliances can cause overloading, leading to the breaker's tripping or even a fire hazard. To resolve this issue, one can install a dedicated breaker for the stove or relocate the stove to a circuit with sufficient capacities, such as a separate circuit for kitchen appliances.
  • The stove has damaged or defective wiring
Damaged or defective wiring in your stove could be a common cause of tripping your breaker. Over time, the wires become frayed or damaged due to exposure to heat or wear and tear. Additionally, rodents can sometimes gnaw through the wiring, leading to shorts and potential fires. Signs of damaged or defective wiring may include a burning smell, smoke, sparks, or visible damage to the wires. If you suspect your stove has damaged or defective wiring, it is important to address the problem promptly. A certified technician diagnoses and repairs the issue by replacing faulty wires. Ignoring this problem leads to a more severe electrical issue, potential fire, or injury.
  • The stove has a faulty burner control (infinite) switch
The burner control switch, also known as the infinite switch, regulates the temperature of the stove's burners. It works by controlling the amount of power that is supplied to the heating element. If the switch is faulty, the burner may not heat up at all or may stay on at full power, regardless of the setting. Signs of a faulty switch include burners that won't turn off, burners that won't turn on, or burners that don't adjust to the desired temperature. Repairing or replacing the switch is the best solution to this issue. A qualified technician can easily diagnose the problem and replace the switch if necessary.
  • A circuit breaker is too weak or defective
If the circuit breaker for your stove is weak or defective, it can cause the breaker to trip. Circuit breakers are designed to prevent electrical overloading, but they can trip even with a normal electrical load if not functioning properly. Causes of defective circuit breakers can include age, wear and tear, or faulty wiring. Signs of a weak or defective circuit breaker can include tripping frequently, not resetting properly, or feeling hot to the touch. Upgrading or replacing the existing one can be a solution to resolve this issue.
  • The stove’s outlet may be damaged or defective
A damaged or defective outlet can cause the breaker to trip. Over time, the point where your stove connects to the electrical system, known as the outlet, can become damaged or worn out. This can lead to overheating, sparking, and short-circuiting. Causes of a damaged or defective outlet can include wear and tear, moisture exposure, loose or broken connections, and physical damage. Signs of a damaged or defective outlet may include discoloration, burning smells, crackling or popping sounds, and loose or wobbly plugs. To resolve this issue, you can try repairing or replacing the outlet. It's important to ensure that a licensed professional does any electrical work to prevent further damage or safety hazards.
Remember, preventing your stove from tripping your breaker starts with regular maintenance of your kitchen appliances. Don't let a minor issue become a major headache - call a professional if the problem persists. Prioritizing the importance of regular maintenance on your kitchen appliances can save you time and money in the long run. Contact Home Alliance for prompt and affordable appliance repair in Los Angeles!