As summer approaches, the rising temperatures bring with them an unwelcome side effect: high energy bills. It's no secret that running your HVAC system to keep your home cool can lead to high electricity bills, but there are ways to keep those costs down without sacrificing comfort. We will explore the top 5 ways to save on energy costs this summer with your HVAC system. Following these tips lets you keep your home comfortable and your wallet happy.
How to save on energy costs in the summer months
- Set Your Thermostat to a Higher Temperature: Every degree you lower your thermostat increases your energy usage by 3-5%. Setting it a few degrees higher than usual reduces your energy costs significantly. Consider setting it to 78°F or higher, and use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout your home.
- Maintain Your HVAC System: Regular maintenance of your HVAC system can help it operate more efficiently, reducing energy usage and lowering costs. Make sure to change air filters every 1-3 months, and schedule annual tune-ups with a professional HVAC technician.
- Upgrade to a Programmable Thermostat: By upgrading to a programmable thermostat, you easily adjust your home's temperature throughout the day and reduce consumption when you're away or asleep. It helps reduce utility costs and offers significant savings in the long run!
- Seal Air Leaks: Air leaks around doors and windows can let hot and cool air out, forcing your HVAC system to work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. Sealing these leaks with weather stripping or caulking helps reduce energy usage and lower costs.
- Use Curtains and Blinds: Keeping curtains and blinds closed during the hottest parts of the day can help block out the sun's heat and reduce the load on your HVAC system. If you have windows that face east or west, consider using reflective shades to reduce heat gain even further.
With the following 5 energy-saving tips for your HVAC system this summer, you can keep your home comfortable and cool and control those costly bills!
The Power of Programmable Thermostats: How to Save on Energy Costs This Summer
As temperatures rise during the summertime, many homeowners struggle to balance their comfort with the cost of running their HVAC system. However, a programmable thermostat is one simple tool that helps you stay cool while saving money on expensive bills.
With a programmable thermostat, you can avail yourself of substantial energy savings as it allows for scheduling temperatures at different times throughout the day. So whether you are away from home or sleeping, this cutting-edge technology reduces cooling automatically and more than pays for itself in no time!
Here are 4 tips on how to get the most out of your programmable thermostat this summer:
- Adjust Your Settings: Set your thermostat to a higher temperature when you are out of the house. For example, try setting it to 78°F during the day and 82°F at night. This results in considerable cost savings.
- Use Pre-Programmed Settings: Most programmable thermostats come with pre-programmed settings that help you save energy. For example, you may be able to choose a "vacation" setting that allows you to turn off your HVAC system when you're away for an extended period.
- Consider a Smart Thermostat: Smart thermostats take programmable thermostats to the next level by allowing you to control your HVAC system remotely through a smartphone app. This can be especially useful if your plans change unexpectedly and you need to adjust your settings from afar.
- Don't Override Your Settings: While it may be tempting to override your thermostat settings when you're feeling particularly hot or cold, doing so can negate the energy savings you're trying to achieve. Instead, try dressing for the weather or using a fan to help circulate air.
Using a programmable thermostat to its full potential allows you to stay cool and comfortable during the summer while saving money. And, if you're unsure how to install or program your device, don't hesitate to call a professional for help.
Get Ready for Fun in the Sun with Home Alliance this Summer!
Beat the heat this summer and manage your energy bills with these clever ways to conserve energy using your HVAC system. Get ahead of the game by calling Home Alliance for reliable HVAC repair and installation services so you can relax comfortably without draining your wallet. We're always ready to help, so get in touch today for dependable HVAC repair near me!