Health problems can also result from high humidity, particularly for those who have chronic respiratory conditions. Additionally, mold might worsen the problem. Air conditioning and exhaust fans can also lower humidity in the kitchen and bathroom. The ideal alternative is a dehumidifier if you don't have them or it's too cold outside to put on the air conditioner.
Dehumidifiers that are portable or installed in certain rooms or areas of your home efficiently control humidity. The first thing you might ask yourself if you need to purchase a portable dehumidifier is, "What size dehumidifier do I need?"
When selecting a dehumidifier size, these factors should be taken into account:
- The size of the area you want to dry out. Given that manufacturers in the UK use that measurement unit, this should be done in square meters.
- The quantity of moisture present. Unless you utilize a humidity sensor, this measurement is more arbitrary. But if you pay attention to where moisture is gathering, you should be able to estimate how damp an area is.
- The ambient temperature.
Dehumidifiers come in a variety of varieties; however, these are the typical terms to look up when searching:
- Thermo-electric (or Peltier) models adjust the temperature of the system's modules using electricity.
- Refrigerant models are great all year round and work like an air conditioner.
- In desiccant models, a lot of water can be extracted. They work best in industrial settings or during significant floods and leaks.
Several size categories of dehumidifiers, all based on CR testing:
- Large-Capacity Dehumidifiers
At least 40 pints should be removed each day by this category. These suggested dehumidifiers remove more than that; they are made to remove 50 pints daily, and our tests revealed that they came the closest to living up to their promises.
- Medium-Capacity Dehumidifiers
This category has a daily removal goal of 30 to 39 pints. From our evaluations, only two medium-capacity models are suggested, and both receive an Excellent grade for water removal.
- Small-Capacity Dehumidifiers
Less than 30 pints can be removed daily using these machines.
To determine the right size dehumidifier you need, consider the size and dampness of your space, using a hygrometer if necessary. The larger or damper the room is, the greater the required capacity. In reality, the extraction efficiency of dehumidifiers varies a lot depending on the quality and type of the machine.