Since it is typically covered by sheets, the surface of your mattress is not something you are exposed to daily. You won't even notice the surface of your mattress until you go to change and wash the sheets. As a result, a mold issue could go unnoticed for days or weeks before being discovered.
The three types of mold that most homes experience are allergic, pathogenic, and poisonous
- While some allergic molds may need professional treatment, most allergenic molds can be eliminated at home with cleaning supplies.
- Disinfectants can be used to control pathogenic mold, but big colonies need to be removed by experts.
- The most dangerous molds are toxic and should only be removed and disposed of by professionals.
How to spot mold
- Grows into an object.
- It may show up in black or green.
- Texture can be fuzzy or slimy.
The good news is that, although it takes some effort, it is relatively feasible to eradicate mold from a mattress. Given that you must leave your mattress out in the sun to dry, the best time to clean it is on a warm, sunny day.
- Both mattress sides should be vacuumed. Immediately after, properly clean the dust collector on your vacuum to prevent the spread of mold spores.
- Prepare the answer. In a bowl, combine one part of hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol diluted to the same ratio with three other parts of warm water.
- Use a damp cloth to scrub the moldy region of the mattress by dipping it in the solution, wringing it out, and using it. Scrub in a circular motion, going far beyond the mold's visible surface.
- Spray a disinfectant made for upholstery sparingly and evenly. Repeat the procedure until all spores and bacteria are gone after it has dried.
- Take your mattress outside into the sun after that.
Protecting your new mattress from moisture with extras like a slatted bed foundation or a waterproof mattress protector should always be your first defense against mold. But sometimes, we lack the foresight to keep mold outside.
Maintaining a healthy, mold-free sleeping environment is important because we want you to get better sleep. Casper has everything you need for a secure bed if you've noticed mildew on your mattress and determined it's time for a change.