Ask us anything

How much does it cost to run my Goodman GMSS96 single-stage gas furnace during the winter months?

The cost to run your Goodman GMSS96 single-stage gas furnace during the winter months depends on several factors, including the efficiency of the furnace, local fuel prices, the size of your home, your thermostat settings, and the outdoor temperature. Here are the key factors to consider:

1. Furnace Efficiency: The efficiency of your furnace is typically measured by its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the furnace. A higher-efficiency furnace will use less fuel to produce the same amount of heat. For example, if you have an 80% AFUE furnace, it means that 80% of the fuel's energy is converted into heat, and the remaining 20% is lost as waste. High-efficiency furnaces with AFUE ratings of 90% or more are more energy-efficient but can be more expensive upfront.
2. Local Fuel Prices: The cost of natural gas or propane, which are commonly used for heating, can vary significantly by location and may change over time. Check with your utility provider for the current cost of fuel in your area.
3. Thermostat Settings: Your heating costs will depend on the temperature at which you set your thermostat. Lowering the thermostat by just a few degrees can result in significant energy savings. Programmable thermostats can help you maintain comfortable temperatures while optimizing energy use.
4. Insulation and Home Size: The insulation level and size of your home play a significant role in heating costs. A well-insulated and properly sealed home retains heat more efficiently, reducing the workload on your furnace. Larger homes may require more energy to heat.
5. Outdoor Temperature: The colder it is outside, the harder your furnace has to work to maintain indoor comfort. Extremely cold temperatures can lead to higher heating bills.
Maintenance and Efficiency: Regular maintenance, such as cleaning and servicing your furnace, can help it run more efficiently, reducing energy consumption.
6. Ductwork and Airflow: Properly designed and sealed ductwork ensures that heated air is delivered efficiently to all areas of your home. Leaks or obstructions in the ductwork can lead to energy waste.
7. Programmable Thermostat: Installing a programmable thermostat allows you to set heating schedules and temperature setbacks, which can help control heating costs.
To estimate the cost of running your Goodman GMSS96 gas furnace during the winter, you can use the following formula:

Cost = (Total Heating Load in BTUs) / (Furnace Efficiency) x (Cost of Fuel per BTU)

Keep in mind that the heating load depends on factors like the size of your home, insulation, and outdoor temperatures. You can monitor your gas usage on your utility bill to track your actual heating costs.
For a more accurate estimate, it's advisable to consult with an HVAC professional who can assess your specific situation, evaluate your furnace's performance, and provide recommendations for improving energy efficiency. Regular maintenance and energy-saving practices can help you reduce heating costs and keep your home comfortable during the winter months.
Connect to virtual expert

Our virtual experts can diagnose your issue and resolve simple problems.