Do I need to press the ignition button first or the pilot light on A.O. Smith when relighting the water heater?
1. Turn the Temperature Dial to "Pilot" or "Off": Before attempting to relight the pilot light, you should locate the temperature control dial on your A.O. Smith water heater and turn it to the "Pilot" or "Off" position. This action ensures that the main burner is not actively heating the water while you work on the pilot light.
2. Access the Control Panel: Open the access panel or door on the front of the water heater. This panel provides access to the pilot assembly and other components needed for relighting the pilot.
3. Locate the Pilot Assembly: Inside the control panel, you will see the pilot assembly. It consists of a small tube leading to the pilot burner and a control knob or button.
4. Press and Hold the Pilot Control: Typically, you will need to press and hold down the pilot control knob or button while performing the following steps. This control allows gas to flow to the pilot assembly.
5. Press the Ignition Button (If Applicable): If your A.O. Smith water heater has an electronic ignition system with an ignition button, you should press and hold the ignition button while continuing to hold the pilot control knob or button. This step activates the electronic ignition system, generating a spark to ignite the pilot.
6. Light the Pilot: While holding down the pilot control and the ignition button (if applicable), use a long lighter or match to carefully light the pilot burner located at the end of the pilot tube. Insert the flame near the pilot burner until you see the pilot flame ignite.
7. Continue Holding Controls: After the pilot flame ignites, continue to hold down the pilot control and the ignition button (if applicable) for about 30 seconds. This extended holding period allows the thermocouple to heat up and establish a stable pilot flame.
8. Release the Controls: After about 30 seconds, release both the pilot control and the ignition button (if used). The pilot flame should remain lit on its own. The thermocouple, a safety device, detects the presence of the pilot flame and keeps the gas flowing.
9. Set the Temperature Dial: Once the pilot flame is stable, turn the temperature control dial back to your desired water temperature setting. This will allow the main burner to operate and heat the water as needed.
10. Close the Access Panel: Securely close the access panel or door on the water heater and reattach any screws that were removed to secure the panel.
11. Monitor the Water Heater: Keep an eye on the water heater to ensure it operates correctly. The pilot light should remain lit, and the main burner should ignite when hot water is needed.
The key to successfully relighting the pilot light is to follow the proper sequence of steps and hold the controls as required to ensure the pilot flame stabilizes. If you are unsure about any aspect of the relighting process or if the pilot light continues to go out after relighting, it is advisable to consult your water heater's user manual for model-specific instructions and safety guidelines. Additionally, if you encounter repeated issues with the pilot light, it may be necessary to contact a professional plumber or technician to diagnose and address any underlying problems with your water heater. Safety should always be a top priority when working with gas appliances.
How are the refrigerant lines designed for Carrier Commercial HVAC split systems, and what precautions should be taken during routine maintenance or repair?
How long does it take to put a radiator in a car?
What is the recommended frequency for maintenance on the Coleman S Series 23 SEER2 Multi-Zone Mini Split Heat Pump System?
I'm checking if we can get the estimate for an air duct cleaning we had in Franklin Ave., Los Angeles. Your technicians already went there; we just need the estimate.
reset viking dishwasher dfud042
how to fix maytag mmv4205 microwave door latch
Is it okay to adjust the fan speed settings on my Bryant Perfect Air Purifier, or should I leave it on the default setting?
What is the function of strainer?
Does the Rheem Classic Series Single-Stage Heat Pump (RP14) provide reliable single-stage heating and cooling?
What household items use a 9 volt battery?
Are Your Home Appliances Worth To Repair Or Replace
When one of your home appliances no longer operates right, you surely start looking for the best appliance repair company nearby. As you need quick and efficien...
How Often To Change Your Central AC Air Filter During Summer?
As summer approaches, it's time to start thinking about your central AC system and how to keep it running smoothly throughout the season. One critical component...
Refrigerator Temperature Guide: Keeping Your Food Fresh Longer
Unlock the secret to preserving your groceries with our Refrigerator Temperature Guide. Maximizing freshness isn't just about tossing items into your fridge; it...
Couldn't find the right question?
You can send your question to our support team. We'll get back to you as soon as possible